Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thing #21 - Google Stuff

Google Maps I have used this tool before to look at my house and the houses of other coaches in our fieldhouse. One of the coaches typed in his address and it showed the place but there was no house. This makes me wonder how often a picture is taken of the locations. At the time someone had taken the picture his house was not yet built. My wife told me about my parents' house and when you typed in the address my Dad was out front. I had a good laugh with my Dad when I called him and told him to look it up so he could see himself. It is a weird to see the picture of the actual house where someone is.
Google Maps also allows you to create your own maps for whatever purpose you want. My wife showed me the one she found on Barack Obama's Journey. When you find a map that interests you, you can save it to your own map collection. This would be very helpful in Social Studies to show the routes of the Roman Empire as it expanded or trade routes.

Google Translate Using Google Translate lets you put any URL in the translate a web page box and it changes it from one language to another. I put in the URL for the ESPN website and translated it into Spanish. This would be great for the kids who have trouble with English, it would allow you to translate into the language that the student needed. Then they could see the translation in English when they scroll over the words, so they can compare the two. This is a great tool.

No comments: